Document kmQkag6Y3756RBNQZ97J8weD
Shanghai Benzene Epidemiology Study Consortium Conference Call May 3,2001
Shell Notes
Shell Actions from Call
Nancy:
1. Determine which option Shell will offer in the funding question as outlined in
#1 below-
(1) Agree 2/13, cost to She1l3.1MM
(2) Define an upper $$ limit that we will commit: $$ =
?
2. Need to additional $15K per company as seed monies until final decision is made June 1. API would like the money by May 14. This money, like the $15K already contributed, would count towards the company's share.
3. Exxon verbally supported all the concerns that we shared on the call. Exxon would like a copy of our letter to use in presentations to their management. Request permission to share letter; Christi said there was no legal reason not to share.
4. Agreement that consortium members would have a vote on managing the project. The current proposed structure would have an executive/business oversight committee, a technical oversight committee and a communication committee. Where does Shell want to commit resources and who? I recommend that we volunteer resources early so we can be a part of interim decisions that will be made prior to consortium formation.
Executive/business oversight committee: Nancy, Patsy, Christi?? technical oversight committee: Stu, Shan?? communication committee: Patsy, Sarah??
5. Name of Project: Benzene Health Research Consortium Christi approved for Shell from a legal prospective Nancy, do you concur?
Christi 1. Contract review - get comments to API
1
SH ELL-MCCLU RG-06S268
Call Agenda
1. Role call of companies with indication of level of commitment
Company Shell Chevron BP ExxonMobil Conoco Ashland-Marathon Phillips
Commitment Yes, if concerns met Yes Probably Probably Probably Probably Not expected
# Shares 2 2 3 3, actually 3114 1 2 <1>
Total # shares expected to be volunteered
13
This does not meet the Shell requirement of 15 shares. Options: (3) Agree 2/13, cost to Shell 3.1MM (4) Define an upper $$limit that we will commit
Potential ways to manage costs: (1) Modify protocols to reduce costs (2) Seek funding from additional sources such as Leukemia Society (have
a $14MM research budget) after the study begins
Potential consortium needs to decide what is critical mass in order to start the project, i.e. there are only 12 shares volunteered andlor companies are only willing to commit $X, therefore to start the project with less than full funding.
2. Discussion of Shell's concerns as stated in the letter to API
1. Concern 1: volunteer if 15 shares volunteered - see discussion above. 2. Concern 2; Agreed that contract language would protect consortium members
from escalated costs. 3. Concern 3: Assurance of voice and vote in project. Shell needs to identify
which roles it would like to actively commit resources. 4. Concerns 4,5: Participation ofa government agency/NGO in peer review and
consortium. No push back. Suggested that EPA might appoint a scientist to represent them, that person might not necessarily be an EPA staffer. I sensed support for the recommendation, however, I feel that it is up to us to see that it actually happens if we join the consortium
2
SH ELL-MCCLU RG-06S269
3. April 24, 2001 Minutes Discussion (led by Shell)
Outstanding commitments/Needs: Confirmed that $2SK allocated for peer review was sufficient to cover
additional government agency/NGO representative. Concern about spy plane incident: Added tensions between China, the US, and Taiwan. Agreed that
Communications Committee would address. Protocol Review: No progress in recovering lost comments from first peer review. Reiterated
need for document management. Contract Issues: Shell agreed to get comments on contract to API
4. Other Items
1. Name of Project: Benzene Health Research Consortium Christi approved for Shell.
2. Project Time Line June 1: Firm commitment by consortium members Study begins: Suggested Sept 1 Stakeholder meeting needs to be added. Stakeholder being defined as a broader audience with which consortium will share plans for the study Communication committee formation needs to be added Peer review and IRB review of protocols cannot occur concurrently. Agreed to do Peer review first, followed by IRB.
5. Shell Questions/concerns/suggestions not addressed during call
Consortium Organization: Open process
"Y Agendas and minutes on web site "Y Will consortium web site be separated from API site? "Y What will define a quorum for decision making? "Y Will the consortium have a contract with API for administrative support?
Time Line: How can decision (company commitment) and executive committee formation
occur on the same day? What is the method of gaining consortium approval for decision made May
IS-June 27 (date of consortium formation)? Purpose of API and PI meeting on May 29 What form will the commitment decision take - a letter? When will the contract be signed? Is this the June commitment date or June
27 formation date?
3
SH ELL-MCCLU RG-06S270